Engineering Lead, Cloud Operation
Department: NEXTSTEP Product Development
Location: Chennai, India
Date Posted: 11/28/2018
The Engineering Lead, Cloud Operation will be leveraged to help build and operate a fast-paced, always-on Azure environment. The focus of this role will be to provide dedicated support to the development, QA and test teams; while coordinating with members of customer support and the cloud operations US-based team to promote effective communication, knowledge sharing and handoff of responsibilities across time zones as product releases are developed and transitioned from non-production to production status. The Cloud Operations team’s primary responsibility is to ensure the NEXTSTEP product successfully delivers highly available services of exceptional quality to our clients and partners. We’re looking for a DevOps Cloud Engineer to help shape our application stack in the cloud by providing key insights related to the stability and supportability of the system under development, and concurrently be the hands-on local resource providing direct support to our Chennai team. The Engineering Lead, Cloud Operation will report to the Director, Cloud Operations and work with the peers of NEXTSTEP Product Engineering Group.
- Liaise with cross-functional teams including Technical Teams, Business, Operations, and Product
- Aid in the design of Azure PaaS/IaaS solutions to meet stated business requirements, ensuring that best practices are followed.
- Responsible for the successful implementation of PaaS/IaaS solutions designed and approved by the Cloud Operations team.
- Develop new systems and tools that improve the development team experience or capabilities by removing impediments related to infrastructure or systems
- Assist with the creation of requirements, designs, and processes needed to implement the platform, and related tools.
- Understand and contribute to processes and tools used by Cloud Operations team
- Support the deployment of Proof of Concept and research projects for broader consumption by the organization
- Development and management of deployment automation and CI/CD.
- Monitor ticket queues and perform troubleshooting, engaging senior members for escalations as needed
- Provide rotational 24/7 on-call technical support
- Monitor and provide incident response to platform alerts
- Interact with Product Development and Product Management on products, enhancements and initiatives being developed and launched.
- Ensures all operational requirements are met and documented prior to and during the execution of any release.
- Document and maintain instructions for performing deployments to an environment.
Qualification and Abilities
- Hands-on experience managing cloud IaaS environments using IaaS in Azure.
- Hands on implementation, maintaining, and troubleshooting of complex environments
- Exposure to containerization tools such as Kubernetes, and Docker.
- Direct experience with Infrastructure as Code
- Strong background and understanding of application architectures, networking, security, reliability, resiliency and scalability concepts.
- Experience in Configuration Management.
- Experience in Monitoring and Event management
- Some understanding of ITIL practices & other standard IT practices/procedures, particularly as they relate to the cloud.
- Experience in various language components/ container deployments in Azure
- Programming and scripting experience (.NET, PowerShell), Debugging skills a big plus.
- Implementation and management of Azure web apps
- Involvement with management, monitoring, and business continuity strategies
- Linux/Windows system administration in a complex data center environment
- Familiarity with optimizing configuration management and server deployment using automation and DevOps.
- Any Microsoft Azure certification is plus
Education and Experience Preferred
- Degree level qualifications in a technical (or related) subject would be advantageous but not mandatory
- Significant experience in managing Azure Infrastructure and maintenance
- Proven successes in product deployment into Azure
- Exposure to containerization tools such as Kubernetes, and Docker
- Industry certifications in the relevant interest is plus